Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Turning to Technology

I feel as if I am 20 steps behind the world with technology within my classroom.  I have four computers and a digital projector (not mounted or connected to a computer, so it has to be set up each time).  Talk about falling behind the times!  Thankfully, I have a professor that tries to keep me up to date on the latest and greatest technological tools, and she shared this wiki with our class.

http://newtoolsworkshop.wikispaces.com/

On this wiki, the author shares information about TONS of digital tools and programs that can be used within the classroom.  I suggest that everyone take some time to check out this site.  Word of warning:  It will suck you in and you will end up spending hours sifting through all of the information provided.

I found one, Wallwisher.com, that is a really practical way to get students discussing and recommending texts to one another.  On Wallwisher.com, students can log in and leave a sticky note on the wall.  I've decided to use this tool to have students write book recommendations and to digitally "check in" with their literature circles.  I love using real sticky notes, but hate have 1,000+ of them floating around the room and falling off of our anchor charts.  Now with this site, I can easily organize the notes and integrate technology into my students' lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment